NBSB Celebrates World Social Media Day
As time passes, we are working to continually upgrade and enhance our means of communication. Over time, these small strides have come together to weave an invisible web, connecting us to our friends, families, neighbors and even affiliates across the globe, at a speed like never before.
It seems this year we have a little more appreciation for World Social Media Day. As the universe has been hard-pressed to make the jump to digital, we are reminded that what seemed to be infringing on our in-person lives not too long ago, quickly became an essential method of communication, information and sales between individuals and businesses alike in the post pandemic worlds, and even before.
Social media has had an increased impact on society at a growing pace. From the telephone to the fax machine to the world wide web coming to fruition in 1989, bold people with innovative ideas are responsible for connecting us across the globe.
Another reason social media is so appealing to most of us is it is simultaneously all-inclusive yet specific to you as well. On any given day you can experience diverse cultures, movements, and information all in one place. Although for some time we have been divided, we always remained united through various social media channels.
Take today to celebrate and appreciate the digital world we have been lucky enough to experience in our lifetime. To keep the conversation going use #SMDay or #worldsocialmediaday on social media and take the time to understand what the existence of social media has done for you and the rest of us, personally and overall.
World Social Media day was established in 2010. With an increased importance of social platforms on our everyday lives, this day is about celebrating the impact that social media has had on global communication.
Social Media By the numbers
- 5 billion – The number of people using social media.
- 68% – The proportion of U.S adults who use Facebook.
- 3 hours – Time spent by your average person each day on social media or messaging.
- 500 million – People using Instagram Stories each day.
- 60 billion – WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger messages sent each day.
- 35 Minutes – The average user spends on Facebook each day.
- 270 Million – The estimated number of fake Facebook profiles.
- 707 – Number of followers the average Twitter user has.
- 300 hours – Video footage uploaded to YouTube every minute.
- 95 million – Photos uploaded to Instagram each day.