Fun Facts to celebrate National Left Handers Day!
International Left Handers Day is an international day observed annually on August 13 to celebrate the uniqueness and differences of left-handed individuals.
- Left-handers are often denoted as Southpaws”, a word that is affiliated to baseball game to point left-handed pitchers.
- Approximately 85 to 95 percent of people are right-handed. Writing does not determine the handedness since most of the left-handers use their right hand to write and use left hand for other purposes.
- Left-handedness reported to be occurred prominently in identical twins and persons who have neurological disorders and since the connected right brain cerebral is more active in left-handed people, they are said to be a genius and possess good artistic skills.
- As we all know, each Hemisphere controls a particular type of emotions. This control depends on the handedness as per recent studies. Thus, the approach of brain will be different in left-handers. Moreover, Left-handedness might be because of genes.
- There is a 26 percent of chances of Left-handedness in a child if both parents are left-handed; however, it cannot be determined in a single generations gene. Other factors could be prenatal hormone exposure, birth position in the uterus, high number of ultrasound scans and lower birth weight. Rather, no research has confirmed the same.
- Change of hand while doing a task is celled as mixed handedness or cross-dominance; it is merely less than one percent of the world’s population. Likewise, the ability to use both hands equally well is called as Ambidexterity.
- In some of the countries, left-handers are motivated to change the hand preference to right. However, different languages are easy for the left-handers.
Few Famous left-handers of the United States:
- Harry S. Truman
- Gerald Ford
- Ronald Reagan
- George H.W. Bush
- Bill Clinton
- Barack Obama
- Bill Gates
- Steve Jobs
- Mark Zuckerberg
- Babe Ruth
- Bill Russell
- Phil Mickelson
- Oprah Winfrey
- Lady Gaga
- Angelina Jolie
- Jennifer Lawrence
- Marshall Mathers