NBSB Shares Recipe to Celebrate National Ice Cream Day!
As the saying goes, “WE ALL SCREAM FOR ICE CREAM!” A frozen treat that has been a tradition for celebrations and hot summer days for decades! Although we all love our big brands, this National Ice Cream Day consider celebrating with a local treat. Countless local dairy farms and businesses alike make their own homemade ice cream, many of which contain all local ingredients! Make a day of it by scoping out a new local creamery or dairy farm, these “hidden gems” are often the best places to go right in our neighborhoods!
Feeling extra motivated this year? Last year was a year of learning how to make everything yourself at home, whether it was from boredom or taking up a new hobby, we all learned a little something with that extra time at home. Consider keeping this same idea on National Ice Cream Day by making your own ice cream!
Here is a great recipe that is fun and easy!
What you will need:
- ▢1¾ cups heavy cream
- ▢1¼ cup whole milk
- ▢¾ cup sugar
- ▢⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ▢1 tablespoon vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean split in half lengthwise or
- ▢Optional: 2 cups of add-ins – soft brownies, cookies, and blondies work great
- Pour 1 cup of the cream into a saucepan and add the sugar, salt. Scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the pot and then add the vanilla pod to the pot.
- Warm the mixture over medium heat, just until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and add the remaining cream, milk, and vanilla. Stir to combine and chill in the refrigerator.
- When ready to churn, remove the vanilla pod, whisk mixture again and pour into ice cream maker. Churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer the finished ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer until ready to serve. Enjoy!